Blog

Carbon Monoxide: "The Silent Killer"

temp-post-image

Carbon Monoxide: "The Silent Killer"

On a peaceful night in December of 2013, a local family was sleeping. Unbeknownst to them, their landlord’s faulty furnace was seeping carbon monoxide into their apartment.

The father woke up to a gargling sound, only to realize that his 2 year old daughter was suffocating. He started to perform CPR on her, but found himself in a state of nausea and faintness.

As he was holding the limp body of his unconscious baby girl, he screamed for the mother to wake up. Running to the baby, the mother collapsed.

The carbon monoxide was deep in her body, and with the shock of seeing her husband holding their lifeless, limp child in his arms, was too much. She fainted.

Paramedics were called. Upon arrival, the emergency responders realized that the family was poisoned by carbon monoxide. Everyone was rushed to the emergency room. Luckily, everyone survived

What long term effects will this exposure have on the family, especially the little girl, remains to be seen. You can imagine the psychological effect on the family, especially the mother and father, of finding their baby girl unresponsive, not moving, gurgling her own saliva, her eyes rolled back into her head.

That, my friends, is an image that no parent should to have in his/her mind as they go to sleep.
Kaplan Law Offices, P.C. is honored to have the trust of this family to represent them against their landlord after a faulty furnace seeped carbon monoxide into their apartment.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas that seeps into your house. It is produced by burning fuel, and can be generated by such things as gasoline, wood, paper, kerosene and natural gas. Carbon monoxide can be produced by cars, trucks, boats, fireplaces, stoves, furnaces, and pool heaters.

When inhaled, carbon monoxide enters the blood stream, preventing oxygen from being transported to the body’s cells. Original symptoms are dizziness, nausea, and headaches. However, prolonged exposure may cause irregular heartbeats and heart attaches, coma, and death in minutes.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning happens much too often. This is preventable if we take the right steps. Those that put others in jeopardy must be held accountable.

Please feel free to contact our office if you have any questions.

See more at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning

Alex Kaplan

Kaplan Law Offices, P.C.
3400 Dundee Road, Ste. 150
Northbrook, Illinois 60062
(847) 509-9800
alex@alexkaplanlegal.com
www.alexykaplan.com